A preliminary meeting of the North Bergen Library Association was held at Robert Fulton School for the purpose of discussing the establishment of a public library. On June 10th, officers were elected for a two-year term of office and a constitution adopted. P.T.A. groups held meetings and fundraising events, and had conferences with State Library officials. Finally a Board of Trustees was elected and a store rented at 432 – 33rd Street (now 77th Street) for the sum of $300 a year.

The Library officially opened on February 25, 1936 with 2,630 volumes to serve a population of 40,000 persons. On April 1st, Mrs. Rose Cowler was appointed Librarian.

Skip to content